Wednesday 16 October 2013

The Midwives Bookshelf

Current read on my bedside table: Childbirth and the Future of Homo sapiens. Odent
This is the latest effort from Odent, who was a strong influence in my understanding around hormones, physiology and the effect of those attending the woman before I even started my midwifery.   I am looking forward to exploring the 'future of humanity' and the significance that birth will play in this.




Article of the Week: Holy Meconium: a potted history.  Midirs, October 2103
In this last edition to be edited by the exiting MIDIRS team(!), this excellent article looks at the issue of Meconium Stained Liqour (MSL) and Meconium Aspiration.  The author examines the evidence (or lack of?) that underpins current thinking, provides challenging thoughts around policies for women with MSL in labour, and considers the issues for midwives in practice.  

A reflection on this article will be going into my PREP folder and on my list of topics to research further! 

From my personal library : Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth. Gaskin
If you have not already read any of Ina May's work then you need to make this a priority!  Spiritual Midwifery was my inspiration as a student midwife, and Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth has also become a firm favourite and a recommended read for all my clients (I have several copies I loan to to them) and students attending my workshops.

My favourite chapter is "Sphincter Law" and when I was priveledged enough to visit The Farm, Ina May ran a workshop on this whole topic.  For me, it is the strongest factor in the progress of labour and as Ina herself says "We obey Sphincter Law".


What will you add to your midwifery collection?


No comments:

Post a Comment